We have a tag that is only applied to a single question - On the replacing of kanji made obsolete in the 1946 reforms with similar-looking kanji..

I am not sure what this tag is supposed to be for - it has no tag wiki; the only search results for "kakikaeji" (romanized) point back to this site; my IME refuses to give any conversions for かきかえじ that contain 字; and I cannot find any uses of 書き換え字, which is what I presume are the correct kanji for this term.

  • It's Kaji's tag. He added it when he answered the question. Maybe you can find something there.
    – user1478
    Commented Jun 11, 2014 at 4:43
  • 3
    @Kaji Help! Do you have more information on 書換字? I can't find the term in any dictionary (which sort of makes me wonder if it will prove very useful).
    – Earthliŋ Mod
    Commented Jun 11, 2014 at 23:13

1 Answer 1


If you search for the term without okurigana you'll get some hits (the occasional joys of Japanese orthography...).

Original source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakikae#Kakikae (It's first mentioned in the 4th paragraph of the Tōyō Kanji section of the article, but the highlighted section provides more detail.)

Japanese sources:

I'll see about drafting a tag wiki entry for it over the weekend. It's significant because it's a different type of script reform from the Shinjitai simplifications.

  • 6
    The second source doesn't mention かきかえじ, only いふしょかんじ (意符書換字). The first and third sources mention かきかえ, but not かきかえじ. The third also mentions だいようじ(代用字). So it seems like kakikae or daiyōji might be more appropriate as tags than kakikaeji, which doesn't appear in your sources. Both 書きかえ and 代用する/代用字/代用語 seem to be in use, and in particular we can see 書きかえ used by the Agency for Cultural Affairs.
    – user1478
    Commented Jun 14, 2014 at 7:11

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .