My name is Paweł, I’m a product designer at Stack Exchange. I’m super happy for you, because the process of graduation is about to be concluded! Congratulations to all of you!
Updated Design — May 30th 2016
Thank you all for your feedback. It's been good lesson for me and I really appreciate it. At Stack Exchange the community is the most important. Decisions we usually make (whether it's design related or some new feature) sometimes are not understandable enough but we're sure they are right. But sometimes we're just wrong. We make mistakes but we're also trying very hard to fix them and avoid those mistakes in future.
Apparently, there were some elements in the design proposal that you, Community, didn't like. This is why we pitch designs before implementing them - we want to know your opinion and we want to make it as good as possible, trying to find sweet spot between what we think stands best for community design and your expectations.
We went through all your comments, most of them were about logo sign and some icons used in layout. We've updated it slightly, hoping this gonna fit much better. We can't make ALL of you happy, because it's simply impossible.
Anyway, let's start with logo because that was the biggest discussion point so far. Here's new logo - we've updated JP symbol (which wasn't obvious for everyone) to the one proposed in other topic — it was the most upvoted proposal so we decided to use it.
Another issue was about icons. Actually symbols we used in few places. So we updated few of them according to your tips:
- we've replaced 'Ask Question' icon with origami symbol. We've also thought about other symbols you've proposed, but this particular origami symbol is simple enough to be readable and reconizable at small sizes like the one we have
- upvote/downvote symbols were replaced with piece of pattern proposed by @broccoli forest.
- star icon was also replaced by onmyouji pentagram, also proposed by @broccoli forest (thanks!). we were also considering origami shuriken symbol, but we decided it's not obvious enough for what it stands for.
- increased contrast for tags.
Now things that we decided to keep as they were:
- color scheme - there was a sugguestion to update it but it was very subjective (colors are usually subjective) and we really liked gentle colors palette we've picked so it stays as it is.
- blockquote styling - this is something we're trying to keep consistent across whole network so it has to stay as it is.
- badges - there was a proposal to use some other symbol for badges, however the one you proposed has a lot of tiny details that are hardly visible on small sizes. and we are techincally limited by the size of badge.
Updated SWAG proposals
Old post / design...
The new design comes with a few perks. It will give you your own unique theme that reflects your topic, culture & community. This will help brand your site as unique, even while you share common elements with other sites that show you are part of a bigger Stack Exchange family.
To see rest of the old post, go to revisions history.