I believe I have found the root of the problem. The kana input started to work after I updated. The problem comes from the specified .dll file associated with the KBDJPN layout in the registry editor. Previously, I had assigned a custom Colemak keyboard to this position, and while this works fine with romaji input, it seems that the Colemak.dll file cannot be used with kana input. If you have this problem on previous versions of windows, you should go into the registry edit and under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layouts\00000411, double click "Layout File" and change the data to KBDJPN.DLL.
Unfortunately, this solution gets rid of our colemak keyboard for inputting romaji. I suppose you could just use windows+space to cycle through languages, but there are a few problems with this.
- Switching languages requires you to press the alt+tilde shortcut every single time you want to start inputting hiragana.
- If you have a keyboard configured with qmk that is physically not identical to the japanese JIS standard, you will have trouble using both languages. I have configured my custom keyboard so that punctuation and numbers are in a different place. As such, when I try using kana input, some kana keys that take the place of numbers normally are in the wrong place.
There is one way that I believe I can fix this. This webpage explains how you can use Visual Studio and Windows Driver Kit to edit a registry file called kbd106.dll to make japanese input compatible with ANSI. Normal keyboard layout editors, such as Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator 1.4 do not allow you to edit VK_KANA, which is the virtual key code that controls kana input. The other program that I found, kbdedit, that allows you to do this, is locked behind a paywall. I tried using the method indicated in the webpage I linked above, but couldn't get it to work. Ultimately, I just gave up and bought kbdedit, and that seemed to do the trick.