The following situation:
- Someone has a PC with Linux Ubuntu as well as a mobile phone with Andoide, which is set to English so far and has an English keyboard label.
- He wants to write Japanese characters like Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji on these devices via keyboard or touchpad.
- He has never done this before, knows no description and has never, except perhaps in film clips, seen anyone writing Japanese on such devices.
- He would like to be able to do this in common programmes such as any word processor as well as any browser.
What is a common way to write Japanese characters on the above two devices?
- What is a common keyboard layout in Japan?
- What keyboard settings or additional programmes are common, necessary or useful?
- What else should I know, but I can't ask exactly because I don't know the process?
- Do you write in Romaji, for example, which is then converted character by character into Hiragana and, if a corresponding Kanji is available, is then converted into Kanji independently ? And what would one have to do, for example, to prevent a possible automatic partial conversion of hiragana into kanji, if one wants to write pure hiragana, for example ?
The people on the situation above:
- Know the differences of Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji
- are able to read and write Hiragana and Katakana alphabet and a hand of Kanji by hand.
- He is interested in informations, which describe him what he need and how use this, to be able to write Japanese caracter on his PC or Mobile Phone.