In the spirit of addressing the beta's Top 7 issues, I thought I'd launch this thread where we can discuss what we want for JLU's logo and hopefully prompt the more artistic-minded among us to post their graphic contributions.
Maybe first, it would be useful to define some general guidelines on what we want and don't want (or is that too "design by committee"?)...
Overall mood/雰囲気(hunn-iki) New! (See comments to this question)
- What kind of look will best capture the purpose and spirit of the site? It can be in words or images.
- What do we want it not to look like?
- Do we want to any text in it (e.g. "JLU")?
- Do we use kanji (e.g. "日本語"...)?
- Illustrations (e.g. cheesy but typical Hokusai background) or figurative only?
- What about a hinomaru? Too loaded? (Japanese people themselves tend to not be overly fond of its use in public forums)
Please post any thought you have on this and/or mock-ups if you feel like giving it a try. Although I am no graphic designer, I'll be happy to take a stab at it, to open the way, but would love to hear some opinions first...