At first, I assumed that meant the act of writing something down. However, the tag wiki says

Focused on the aspects peculiar to Japanese in its written form rather than the spoken form.

If the tag is supposed to cover reading (not to be confused with !) as well as writing, would be less confusing?

For the record, the oldest question that currently uses is How to write hiragana and katakana in Windows? . I assume it was the creator of the tag, but I can't be certain.


Yes, in all of my reading of Japanese, "Japanese in its written form" is usually referred to as "written Japanese". I don't think I've ever even heard of it referred to as "writing". I think that in addition to being unambiguous, I think the new tag is much more common.

  • how about "literary Japanese"? – Flaw Sep 28 '11 at 5:39
  • 1
    I think there is a good place for a "literary Japanese" tag, but I think that is more constricted than "written". Written would include many of the types of things that could be in literary japanese (but not all), but would also include questions about things like writing style in newspapers and academic reports. – Nathan Ellenfield Sep 28 '11 at 13:28

If I am not mistaken, “writing” indeed means written text as opposed to “speech” (spoken text) in linguistics. However, I agree that “writing” is ambiguous. How about ?

  • Is "written-text" a bit verbose? – Andrew Grimm Sep 30 '11 at 9:44
  • @Andrew: Why? . – Tsuyoshi Ito Sep 30 '11 at 12:19

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .