Here at Japanese SE, we see many questions along the lines of "Do you know any books/programs/websites that would help me learn XYZ in Japanese?", even though we (and the stack exchange network in general), are specifically not set up to handle those questions well. Inspired by Chinese Language and Usage's method for handling resource information, we decided to try it here. The idea is to provide a go-to list for those interested in resources while the discussion about whether to allow resource questions is ongoing.
Please do not create resource questions on the main site asking for websites, books, courses, word-lists, or other "shopping recommendations", the question will be downvoted, closed and possibly deleted. Resource related questions are off-topic for Japanese SE.
If you are looking for a particular resource that you do not see on this list, the appropriate place to ask is almost certainly the Japanese SE Chatroom.
Feel free to ask in the chatroom if you have a resource you would like to add to the list, or if you have other questions. The small group that maintains this list overlaps quite a bit with those you will likely find in there.
- Each answer covers a particular category.
- Include a short summary with each link, describing how it is useful or who it is useful to
- Keep your entries as succinct as possible to maintain a easy-to-follow list format.
- Don't include links to any illegal/copyright violating content, or sites that host such content.
- If you are a developer/provider of the resource you are adding, follow our community rules on self-promotion by including text similar to "developed/maintained by your user account link" to the resource description.
- Comments here will be fairly aggressively moderated to preserve the presentation of the list. If you have a larger comment or complaint, either talk to a moderator in the chatroom or open a meta question.
- Add-ons (browser)
- Audio pronunciation
- Audio resources (podcasts, audiobooks)
- Classical/Medieval Japanese
- Data and Japanese Analysis
- Dedicated JLPT preparation materials
- Dictionaries (online)
- Dictionaries (paper)
- Online courses
- Pronunciation and pitch accent
- Tablet & mobile apps
- Unreliable sites, apps, and tools