I saw this discussion on chat and I figured we should have it in meta. Should translation questions be allowed, and if so, what kinds? For example:
- "Plz translate my homework/these song lyrics/this Ruby documentation"
- "What does this word mean in this context?"
- "What does this obscure phrase that's not in any dictionaries mean?"
- "Is there a similar idiom to this one in English?"
- "How do I say this in Japanese?"
A site dedicated to Japanese language questions that doesn't allow any translation questions seems doomed to an early death--but so does one that fills up with homework questions. So where are we drawing the line?
Possible rules of thumb:
- Will this answer be useful in more than one context?
- Is it the kind of question you could ask a friend or language partner?