A Chinese PhD student in Tsinghua, and English is my second language, and Japanese is my third language. (I don't know which one is better now ...)
I learned Japanese by myself in China (long) before I stayed in Ishikawa, Japan for almost a year. As I didn't take any classes, there are a lot grammar concepts I cannot explain in detail.
My method of learning a foreign language is through using it (including English, though we have English classes in school). Also, I would check the grammar books and dictionaries, but what I want to see most is examples. In China I'm only able to read and listen to Japanese, while I can only speak to myself. I got my chance to speak Japanese when I was in Japan. I'm also keeping a Japanese diary now (I won't make it public).
IMO, to learn a language you are trying to know how the language is used by natives. Grammar books and dictionaries are very important, but they get out of date easily, as language itself is evolving. Also, they don't cover every aspects of the language.
In language study, most times there is not a reason why a usage is correct. It is correct just because the natives use it in that way. Rules can be summarized into grammar, but there are always exceptions for grammar rules. So when a weird thing is found to be correct, just memorize it.
I always prefer to read grammar books or dictionaries that are written by natives and for natives. The versions written for foreigners often get simplified to cover only a small portion. Also different languages are so different that you are not able explain one language in another.
Member for 8 years, 4 months
13 profile views
Last seen Mar 14 at 10:48
- Chinese Language 6.8k 6.8k 1212 silver badges2727 bronze badges
- Japanese Language 3.6k 3.6k 1414 silver badges2424 bronze badges
- Stack Overflow 3k 3k 11 gold badge1717 silver badges3939 bronze badges
- Ask Ubuntu 313 313 11 gold badge22 silver badges77 bronze badges
- TeX - LaTeX 246 246 11 silver badge66 bronze badges
- View network profile →
Top network posts
- 40 How to check whether an argument is supplied in function call?
- 30 Can native Chinese speakers distinguish tones in songs?
- 21 Distribution upgrade problem "No new release found"
- 18 Class hierarchy/dependency diagram generator for C++ in Linux
- 16 Why is _GNU_SOURCE defined by default and how to turn it off?
- 14 Difference Between べんきょう する and べんきょうを する
- 13 Multiply the value by decimal number in latex?
- View more network posts →